How To Get an LTO Student Permit 2021
I’ve been wanting to get a driver’s license ever since I started to learn how to drive. But before I can qualify for it, I need to apply first for a student license permit at the Land Transportation Office (LTO). Student Permit is not a license to drive alone. There’s still a need to be accompanied by someone with a professional or non-professional license. After a month of having it, then that’s that time you can apply for a Driver’s License. Let’s take one step at a time. For this blog, lets focus in getting a Student Permit.
1.1. Filipino citizens [sixteen (16) years of age and above]
1.2. Foreign citizens at least eighteen (18) years old and must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month and proof of stay for at least six (6) months
2. Must be physically and mentally fit
3. Must be able to read and write in Filipino or English
4. Must not have unsettled traffic violation
How to Get a Student License Permit?
FIRST take the mandatory 15-hour Theoretical Driving Course.
You can either take the course at any LTO Drivers Education Center for free or get your TDC at your nearest LTO-accredited driving school for an additional fee. The certificate is needed to apply for the student permit.
When me and my siblings went to LTO near us to ask for the schedule of the Theoretical Driving Course, we found out that there’s a long queue waiting for their schedule. Not really the best option for us because we can’t wait that long and we don’t want to get caught driving without license. The guard suggested an LTO-Accredited Driving School where we can get TDC if we wanted it right away.
We paid for Php 2,000 each. The best part is we can choose the schedule of the class we can attend to. The lectures don’t involve actual driving. Instead, it focuses on the non-practical aspects of driving like traffic laws, driving etiquette, basic knowledge about cars and motors, etc. In just a week got the certificate that we needed so we can proceed in LTO to apply.
SECOND, get a Medical Certificate in a LTO-Accredited Clinic.
When we got our TDC certificate in the morning of Friday, we went right away to a LTO accredited medical clinic. We paid for Php 300.00 each. It’s a one day process probably 30 minutes or an hour if there’s no queue.
We completed it around 10:30 in the morning. So, we went to LTO after.
THIRD, prepare the requirements below.
LTO Student Permit Requirements:
- Duly accomplished Application for Driver’s License (ADL). They will give you this form in LTO.
- Presentation of original and submission of one (1) photocopy of birth certificate and marriage contract (for married women) duly authenticated by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
- For applicants below 18 years of age, one (1) parent’s consent or a person having custody/care or supervision over the minor applicant authorizing the applicant to secure a student permit with presentation of one (1) original and submission of one (1) photocopy of any valid government issued ID of the parent/affiant with photo and signature
- Presentation of original and submission of one (1) photocopy of any issued ID with photo and signature of the applicant
- Presentation of copy of the medical certificate. (Electronically transmitted to LTO by the accredited medical clinic)
- For foreigners, presentation of the original and submission of one (1) photocopy of passport with entry date of at least one (1) month and visa duration of six (6) months from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, presentation of the original and submission of one (1) photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN), if employed
- Your Theoretical Driving Certificate, if you get it to an LTO accredited driving school like us.
FOURTH, proceed to the LTO Office.
Steps to Get Student Driver License:
- Requests Application for Driver’s License (ADL) form and fill out the form.
- Submits accomplished ADL and all the requirements with the attached queue number
- Waits queue number/name to be called for photo and signature capture
- Proceeds to the Cashier for payment of fees
- Receives Student Permit and Official Receipt
After one month and one day, you can now apply for a Driver’s License.
How Much is the Student License Fee?
Total cost of a student permit application is PHP 317.63. Additional Php 2,000 for me because I got my Theoretical Driving Certificate from a LTO-Accredited Driving School.
- Student permit fee: PHP 150
- Application fee: PHP 100
- Computer fee: PHP 67.63
For more details here’s the LTO website for your reference : https://lto.gov.ph/license-and-permit.html
For those asking for the Driving School me and my siblings attended – it’s Jaymiens Driving School in Calbayog Samar. You can contact them for inquiry. Their instructors are very nice and accommodating. They will educate you the whole process of acquiring a license – very informative.
JAYMIENS DRIVING SCHOOL
Purok 2 Cajurao St. Barangay Payahan, Calbayog City, Barangay Payahan, Calbayog City 6710, Western Samar
Contact Number: +63-917-702-5946
Operating Hours: Monday – Saturday…8 AM – 5 PM