Crazy Rich Asians – Book vs. Movie
Crazy Rich Asians an Asian movie in Hollywood, WOW! I’m so excited after I watched the trailer. And so, being a spoiler myself – my goal was to read the book first before watching the movie. I wanted to know what’s gonna happen and what was the story all about.
Crazy Rich Asians (2018) is an American romantic comedy film directed by Jon M. Chu which is based on the 2013 novel by Kevin Kwan.
Rachel Chu a Chinese American professor was invited by her longtime boyfriend, Nickolas Young to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore and also to meet his family for the first time. Nick wasn’t able to tell her that his family is extremely wealthy so she was shocked. So his family, who doesn’t know she exists until very shortly before the trip.
Book vs. Movie:
Here are some of what I observed:
– At the beginning of the movie, Eleanor (Nick’s mom) end up buying the hotel in London. But in the book, it was her sister-in-law Felicity Young (Astrid’s mom) who called his husband Harry Leong – who bought the hotel.
– Rachel noticed Nick’s wealthy status early (plane scene), while in the book it took her a while to fully grasp Nick’s wealthy family.
– Goh’s family already knew Young’s family as an extremely wealthy family. But in the book, they don’t have an idea at first. Young’s family in the book is somehow mysterious and values their privacy.
-Araminta and Colin’s wedding is very much different from the book.
– Nick’s Dad is significant in the book and is in Australia not on a business trip in China.
-Nick and Rachel stay at the hotel in the entire movie but in the book they were invited by Ah Mah to stay in her house.
– Rachel tried to meet his dad in the book.
– The movie made an impression that Michael (Astrid’s husband) cheats. But in the book, it was revealed that he didn’t and he has a different reason for wanting a separation.
– Astrid meeting her ex-fiance was cut in the movie.
– Mahjong scene between Rachel and Eleanor is not in the book.
-Nick never proposes to Rachel in the book. Though, I understand that the movie should have a happy ending.
Get your book copy here LAZADA – Crazy Rich Asians (Movie Tie-In) Mass Market Paperback
Crazy Rich Asians’ story is a typical fairy-tale love story where a rich guy fell in love with an ordinary girl. The family’s disapproval. They go against all odds. Although I already heard the plot over and over again, still the story gave me a different thrill. Maybe because of the curiosity it arises to its viewers on what is it in the world of those crazy rich Asians.
As per the characters, while reading the book, I was honestly more hooked on Astrid’s story than the main characters – Nick and Rachel. That is because of the fact that I don’t have an idea of how it’s gonna end, unlike the main character’s predictable ending.
With regards to the book and how they presented the story in the movie, I have nothing against it knowing that they can only fit so much in less than 2 hours. But I’m glad I was able to read the book because I already have an idea of the whole picture.
Overall, it was a good book. a nice story. I’m looking forward to the next installment and can not wait to watch the sequel – China Rich Girlfriend.
If you have questions let me know in the comment section below.
If you haven’t subscribed to my blog yet, please do so you don’t miss any of my posts. And please follow my socials:
Facebook page @Lucidhorizon
Instagram accounts @sayaramae
TikTok shop – @iwearph
Thank you in advance.
Leave a Comment