Crazy Rich Asians an Asian movie in Hollywood, WOW! I’m a so excited after I watched the trailer. And so, being a spoiler myself – my goal was to read the book first before watching the movie. I wanted to know what’s gonna happen and what was the story all about.
Crazy Rich Asians (2018) is an American romantic comedy film directed by Jon M. Chu which is based on the 2013 novel of Kevin Kwan.
Rachel Chu a Chinese American professor was invited by her longtime boyfriend, Nickolas Young to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore and also to meet his family for the first time. Nick wasn’t able to tell her that his family is extremely wealthy so she was shock. So as his family who doesn’t know she exist until very shortly before the trip.
Book vs. Movie:
Here are some of what I observed:
– In the beginning of the movie, Eleanor (Nick’s mom) end up buying the hotel in London. But in the book, it was her sister-in-law Felicity Young (Astrid’s mom) who called his husband Harry Leong – who bought the hotel.
– Rachel noticed Nick’s wealthy status early (plane scene), while in the book it took her a while to fully grasp Nick’s wealthy family.
– Goh’s family already knew Young’s family as the extremely wealthy family. But in the book, they don’t have an idea at first. Young’s family in the book are somehow mysterious and value their privacy.
-Araminta and Colin’s wedding is very much different from the book.
– Nick’s Dad is significant in the book and is in Australia not in a business trip in China.
-Nick and Rachel stay’s at the hotel in the entire movie but in the book they were invited by Ah Mah to stay in her house.
– Rachel tried to meet his dad in the book.
– The movie made an impression that Michael (Astrid’s husband) cheats. But in the book, it was revealed that he didn’t and he has a different reason for wanting a separation.
– Astrid meeting her ex-fiance was cut in the movie.
– Mahjong scene between Rachel and Eleanor is not in the book.
-Nick never proposes to Rachel in the book. Though, I understand that the movie should have a happy ending.
Crazy Rich Asians’ story is a typically fairy-tale love story where a rich guy fell in-love to an ordinary girl. The family’s disapproval. Them – against all odds. Although, I already heard the plot over an over again, still the story gave a different thrill. Maybe because of the curiosity it arises to it’s viewer on what is it in the world of those crazy rich Asians.
As per the characters, while reading the book, I honestly more hooked on Astrid’s story than the main characters – Nick and Rachel. That is because of the fact that I don’t have an idea on how it’s gonna end unlike with the main character’s predictable ending.
With regards to the book and how they presented the story on the movie, I have nothing against it knowing that they can only fit so much in a less than 2 hours. But I’m glad I was able to read the book because I already have an idea of the whole picture.
Overall, it was a good book. a nice story. I’m looking forward to the next installment and can not wait to watch the sequel – China Rich Girlfriend.